Sunday, July 11, 2010

Everything Paris

    Those who know me well know that I have been dreaming of visiting Paris for many years, but for one reason or another it has not happened. I have wanted to go since I was a little kid. As a child, I would have rather gone to Paris than to Disney World, but that of course did not happen. Since I have been an adult, I have considered going a few times, but something has always gotten in the way. I considered going there for our honeymoon, but it was just too expensive at the time and Joe and I were in our early 20's. I was going to go a couple years ago, but we decided to move to North Carolina instead. Last year I decided to go to graduate school, so it put Paris off yet again for a couple of years.

    I like to think that Joe and I are working our way up to Paris. We have visited other French related things. We went to Quebec City and Montreal together. We visited Paris Las Vegas when we were on our honeymoon, and have many found memories of the hotel including a strawberry daiquiri that was served in a plastic Eiffel Tower bottle. I still have the bottle to this day. When we were in Disney World a few months ago, we visited France at the Epcot World Showcase (above). I was very impressed that I didn't buy a ton of Eiffel Tower and French souvenirs, since I love souvenirs and Paris stuff. Now, I think all that is left is for us to actually visit Paris.

    I have a small collection of Paris stuff around my house. I look for stuff here and there that would be a nice addition to my collection. There are a few stores that tend to carry Paris themed items including Target, Kirkland, and Home Goods. I have bought a few things online as well. People also get me Paris related gifts. One Christmas I got Eiffel Tower salt and pepper shakers. What a great gift. I actually just picked up a new Eiffel Tower item. It is a statue of an Eiffel Tower that lights up. Barnes and Noble also has a selection of Paris stuff right now. I got some Paris bookmarks there a couple of weeks ago.

    This past month National Geographic Traveler magazine had an edition with some information about Paris. It caught my eye because the front of the magazine has a picture of the Eiffel Tower. Inside there were a couple of hotels that the magazine considered to be a good budget hotel. One of the hotels was The Five Hotel. I think this is the place I want to stay with Joe. They have rooms starting at 89 Euros a night and each room comes with rose petals sprinkled on your bed. It sounds so nice.

    So what do I want to visit the most when I am in Paris? It is hard to say. I am obviously going to go up the Eiffel Tower and eat at one if not both of the restaurants up there (Attitude 95 is on the first landing and Jules Verne Restaurant, one of Paris’ finest restaurants, is on the second landing). I think equally nice would be to pack a picnic lunch and eat in the park called Chap-de-Mars at the base of the Eiffel Tower. I want to get lots of picks of Joe and I in front of the Eiffel Tower. Pictures in front of the Eiffel Tower are a must while you are in Paris.

    Montmartre District (also known as the artist district) is a must to see while in Paris as well. There are artists’ influences new and old here, museums, shopping, wineries, and many restaurants. Sacre-Coeur, one of Paris' popular landmarks, is also in this area.

    The Louvre will also be on my list of places to see and Cathedrale Notre Dame de Paris (Our Lady of Paris), among many other places some well known and some that are lessen known great finds. Sometimes it is those places you were not expecting that end up being spectacular. The list of places could go on and on. I might make another post eventually when I have a defined list of places I want to see. These are just a few highlights.

    For now I am left shopping and dreaming about Paris and adding to my collection of Paris items. I am keeping my fingers crossed that Joe and I travel there very soon.


The Five Hotel
Paris Las Vegas
The Louvre

1 comment:

  1. Paris is one of the most gorgeous and incredible cities in the world. There are plenty of places for visiting and you can’t avoid anything because all places are stunning and should visit there.
    The top places like La Madeleine, Orsay Museum, Eiffel Tower and Montmartre/Sacre Coeur etc.

    ReplyDelete