Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Student Teaching and Other Updates

    A couple weeks have gone by since my last update on student teaching and my semester so far. Student teaching is going well. So far math has been easiest and most interesting to teach. So much has changed in how math is taught since I was a kid, so many times I have to brush up on my math skills. There is a lot less memorization then there used to be in math, and I have to keep that in mind when I teach. Today's students are expected to understand the why behind math and not just memorize how to complete the problems. Place value. addition, and subtraction is taught using something called base 10 blocks. The blocks come in either 1, 10, 100, or 1,000 and can be added together to represent numbers. Borrowing and carrying for addition and subtraction and now called regrouping and is many times taught through using these base 10 blocks.


    Well, that is it for now. I’m looking forward to a busy week ahead. This weekend is my husband Joe and I’s 6 year wedding anniversary. He has a bad virus or flu or some sort right now, so hopefully he will feel better by this weekend, and I don’t get sick. That way we can enjoy a day together. I think we are going to Old Salem in Winston-Salem, North Carolina. There is one of my favorite restaurants out there and it is just so beautiful to walk around with the old buildings and tall oak and maple trees.

No comments:

Post a Comment