Thursday, March 25, 2010

Concord, Massachusetts

    Those who have visited my blog before may notice I added a quote from Emerson, "The man who can make the hard things easy in the educator." I came across this quote while reading for reading and writing methods class today. I thought it was a fitting quote seeing that I am a fellow writer, I am studying to be a teacher, and I recently saw Emerson's house when I was in Concord, Massachusetts last week. I did not get to go inside Emerson's house, since it was closed for the season (it will reopen in April), but I did take a photo, which is above. I also went to the Concord Museum, which is across the road from his house, and the museum had his study there for an exhibit.


    There are many great writers who lived in Concord, Massachusetts. Henry David Thoreau lived there and he wrote about Walden Pond located in Concord, Massachusetts. Louisa May Alcott also lived in Concord, Massachusetts. My mom and I toured her house. She was the author of "Little Women."

    After we toured Louisa May Alcott's house, my mom and I went down to the Old North Bridge. The area had some heavy rain the weekend before, so there was some flooding in the area. There was a sign that was almost completely emerged by water. Afterwards, we had dinner at the Colonial Inn, which was built in 1716. I felt like I was sitting in history.

    I love visiting historic places and eating at historic restaurants. It makes me feel like I are part of history. On my first blog post, I mentioned one of my favorite restaurants is the Salem Tavern in Winston-Salem, North Carolina. That building is not quite as old as the Colonial Inn, but it was built in the early 1800's (and the food is great). Some of the buildings in the area are from the late 1700's though.

    Thanks for reading my blog. I have posted a new poll question as well. Check back soon for more updates.

No comments:

Post a Comment