Saturday, September 25, 2010

Reflections on Literacy

   September is nearing its end already.   Every year International Literacy Day is celebrated on September 8.  I just wanted to take a few moments to discuss literacy and share a few resources.

    I am working with some of my students on reading fluency right now.  Reading fluency is a newer concept in schools.  It was discussed in the National Reading Panel Report.  The National Reading Panel is a great place to start for looking at best research based practices for reading instruction.  Reading fluency deals with how quickly you read, if you pause appropriately, and if you use proper tone and inflection when you read.  Fluent readers are really engaging to listen to.  A non-fluent reader sounds monotone and thier reading sounds and feels laborious.  Being a fluent reader increases your enjoyment in reading.  Being a fluent reader has also been linked to reading comprehension.  If you read fluently and can add the proper emotions and expressions, it is easier to comprehend what you read. 

    I found an article on Scholastic.com that discussed some tips for teaching reading fluency that I wanted to share http://www2.scholastic.com/browse/article.jsp?id=4367.  One of the recommendations is to try readers' theater in the classroom.  I am currently working with a group of students on readers' theater.  We just started a few days ago, and I can already hear some improvement in their reading (at least for the script we are using). 

    I also wanted to share an article that was published in the last edition of Instructor Magazine about Dyslexia, which includes some tips for working with students with Dyslexia Dyslexia: What Teachers Need to Know

    I have also added a few new links for reading resources on the right toolbar of my blog including Dyslexia Texas, LD Online, Reading Rockets, and the National Reading Panel. 

    Though International Literacy Day has passed for the year, literacy is something that should be constantly promoted and celebrated.  As part of my student teaching I went to a literacy leaders meeting with the teacher I am working with.  The literacy leaders (part of Special Education Services) has a saying that, "Literacy is a right, not a privilage."  I think we should all consider this in our professional and personal lives.  Literacy is key to a happy life.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for the links, especially the ones for helping students with dyslexia. Every bit of advocacy and support for dyslexic children helps!

    ReplyDelete